12 Best Ping Pong Table Reviews 2019 | Quick Buyer’s Guide (Update)
Many people don’t understand that playing table tennis or ping pong is not cheap at all.
It is primarily because of the cost of the ping pong tables, especially the better quality branded ones.
There are plenty of options regarding brands, price and types.
By reading this article, hopefully, you will be able to find the best ping pong table for what your needs.
So let’s begin
Top 12 Best Ping Pong Table Reviews
JOOLA Midsize Compact Table Tennis Table
JOOLA is a very reliable table tennis brand, whether it is for paddles or tables and this table is excellent for small spaces or spare rooms.
EastPoint Sports Table Tennis Table
EastPoint is another reliable sports brand; however, they aren’t well known for their table tennis equipment.
JOOLA Inside 15mm Table Tennis Table with Net Set
STIGA Advantage Table Tennis Table
STIGA is a very reliable table tennis brand, and they are known for their quality table tennis products, and this table is no different with some great features that everyone wants when buying a table tennis table. However, it won’t come cheap and may be out of most people’s price ranges.
JOOLA Rally TL 300 Table Tennis Table
It’s JOOLA again with another top quality table tennis table which comes in a brilliant black color which gives a nice change to the standard blue color we often see on table tennis tables. TL 300 is a cheaper option, and the quality and standard of the table are excellent.
Butterfly Playback Rollaway Indoor/Outdoor Table Tennis Table
As one of JOOLA’s main rivals when it comes to the best table tennis brands, Butterfly have been in the game for many years, and this table is an example of their quality.
JOOLA NOVA DX Indoor/Outdoor Table Tennis Table
It seems like most of these tables so far have been made by JOOLA; however, this is the last JOOLA table tennis table you will see on this list, and it’s the first outdoor option from JOOLA.
Viper Arlington Indoor Table Tennis Table
Viper isn’t a brand that is usually associated with the sport of table tennis, which we are used to with JOOLA and Butterfly. However, this indoor table tennis table is very high quality and comes in a striking black and red colorway, which would fit in nicely in most rooms.
Kettler Match 5.0 Indoor/Outdoor Table Tennis Table, Green Top
Like Viper, the brand of this table tennis table, Kettler, is widely unknown in the sporting world and wouldn’t be considered by most people as one of the most known brands for table tennis but the quality of their tables is excellent nonetheless, especially this one.
STIGA InstaPlay Table Tennis Table
STIGA features again in these product reviews, and this table is different to the one previously mentioned. The apparent difference is the color as this is a lovely black color with a white trim around the table signifying the boundaries.
Butterfly Centrefold 25 Rollaway Table Tennis Table
Centrefold 25 is certainly an option for serious competition table tennis players as there are cheaper alternatives for casual players. However, it is a brilliant table, which I guess is what you would expect for the price.
Killerspin Revolution Table Tennis Table
Killerspin is a brand known for producing premium table tennis equipment, especially their tables which follow a completely different design to nearly all tables you will find on the market.
Ping Pong Table Buying Guide
• Tables that can be used indoor or outdoor tend to be more expensive, and there’s no need to buy one that could be put outside if you are only going to use it inside.
• The cost you are willing to pay is up to you and should be determined by how often you are going to play as well as what standard you are playing.
• Size is important and will usually be chosen in accordance with the age of the performers as children need smaller tables. It also depends on the amount of open space you are trying to fill.
• You need to know the playing space available before purchasing a table as you need enough room to move around the table when playing.
• Whether the table can fold in two halves is also essential to find out as this will influence the storage space you have allotted for the table.
• Your experience of playing table tennis should be taken into account as a more experienced player will tend to spend more on a better quality table.
• The top thickness of the table is worth finding out as a thinner table will have less bounce and players playing for fun might not find it as entertaining as one with more bounce.
• The material of the table frame should be a strong metal, usually, steel, with a weaker material may struggle to hold on a table in place.
• Like the foldability, if the table is going to be regularly stored, then it needs wheels as carrying a heavy table will be a great struggle for most people.
• Whether the net is permanent or temporary isn’t too much of a problem, but it’s important to store in the net in a place you remember and where it won’t get broken or damaged.
• Some tables are weatherproof, but this is only relevant if the table is going to be used and kept outside.
• If you want a pre-assembled table, you will be paying extra. However, they can very awkward to put together.
Different Types of Ping Pong Tables
• An indoor table tennis table does what it says on the tin and can only be used inside, away from the outdoor weather.
• An outdoor table tennis table is the complete opposite and is perfect for the outdoor conditions but shouldn’t be used indoors as it has no way of attaching to the floor.
• Some tables tick both boxes and can be used in either situation, but they will often cost more due to their versatility.
• Folding table tennis tables are ones that can be separated into two halves and are much easier to store, especially if they have wheels.
• Portable table tennis tables are easily transportable and often will just be a set of paddles, balls, and a net and they can be quite cheap and still fun.
• Convertible table tennis tables will combine ping pong and another sport which is usually eight-ball pool. It often involves lifting the top of the table off to reveal the other sport.
• Mini (or compact) table tennis tables are much smaller than standard tables and will usually be bought by parents for younger children as they can’t cope with big tables.
• Kids ping pong tables are very similar and will offer a much smaller alternative with smaller paddles for younger players.
• Weatherproof table tennis tables are almost identical to outdoor tables but instead of having features that are suitable for the outdoors, they will usually have a cover to put on when it’s raining.
• Professional tables will obviously be regulation size used in official competitions but will normally be very expensive and rarely purchased to use in a home.
• Mid-size table tennis tables are in between full size and mini tables and are a good option for players who are looking to play table tennis casually.
• Full-size tables are the same size as the professional ones, but they won’t quite match the top quality that you will find on a professional table.
• Wooden table tennis tables are the ones you would find decades ago but some people still use them nowadays despite them lacking the quality of the newer tables.
• As with most things nowadays, everyone wants a ‘cool’ version and to get a cool table tennis table, it often needs customising.
• Most of the table tennis tables we see today are made of aluminum due to it being capable of lasting indoor and outdoor.
Best Ping Pong Table Brands
• Stiga has been producing table tennis equipment since 1944, and the table tennis table on this list is perfect.
• Kettler started producing aluminum table tennis tables back at the start of the 1960s and ever since they have been churning out top quality table tennis equipment.
• JOOLA is a brand that specializes specifically in the sport of table tennis and has been known to produce some of the best equipment since the 1950s.
• Eastpoint features in the product reviews a few times due to the excellent quality of their table tennis tables.
• Prince is known as a brand that has continued to produce high-quality table tennis equipment over the last several years.
• ESPN is a brand that is largely known for its worldwide sports broadcasting, but they also provide a selection of sporting equipment, including top quality table tennis tables.
• MD Sports is a company that produces equipment for many recreational sports which include table tennis in which they make some relatively cheap tables.
• Butterfly is one of the world’s leading brands when it comes to table tennis equipment, and they have produced a lot of the tables that have been used in national and international competition.
• Brunswick is the UK’s leading producer of all things table tennis and has been in the game for decades now. They still make some of the highest quality table tennis tables in the world.
• Cornilleau has been a major brand in the table tennis industry since its introduction in 1946. These 70+ years of experience now show in their top quality equipment.
• Viper is a much newer brand when it comes to table tennis equipment production, but you wouldn’t know as they now produce some of the most up-to-date equipment involving tables, paddles, and balls.
• Sportspower isn’t specifically a table tennis brand as they produce equipment for most popular sports but their tables tennis tables are still very good at an affordable price.
• Harvil is also a brand that doesn’t specify in table tennis but still brings out some decent equipment for the sport. The tables they make are affordable and decent quality.
• Hathaway Victory is a very low-key brand that most people won’t have heard of, especially regarding table tennis equipment but their tables are still very good even if they are quite expensive.
Ping Pong Table FAQ
What are the dimensions of a ping pong table?
A full-size table that would be used for professional competition is 9 feet (2.74m) long, 5 feet (1.525m) wide and 2.5 feet (76cm) high (International Table Tennis Federation)
How much are ping pong tables?
Like most sporting equipment, table tennis tables vary in price massively. The best tables can cost well over $1000 but, as you will see from the products listed earlier on, between $300 and $800 is the standard price for casual play.
Can I build a ping pong table myself?
Yes, however many tables will come preassembled and building it yourself can be very hard and confusing.
What are ping pong tables made of?
The answer is something that varies from table to table, but usually, the surface will be made of strong plywood that is covered by a metallic layer. The legs are often made of a material like steel to ensure strength and weight.
What are the best home ping pong tables?
It really depends on what you are looking for but most people look to fold the table up and store it somewhere when it’s not being used so one that can fold into two halves is ideal. For most people’s homes, they don’t want to spend a lot so buying a competition-standard table would probably be pointless.
Should I buy a new or used ping pong table?
A used table should be much cheaper but could come with several unknown problems while a new table will cost more, but you will have the confidence knowing that it hasn’t been used before.
Where to buy a ping pong table?
Amazon.com is a great place to buy a table but also, most sports shops will have a small selection whether it’s in store or online. The websites of sports brands will also sell ping pong tables assuming that they produce them.
How much space do I need for a ping pong table?
For a full-size table that is 9 feet long and 5 feet wide, the room needs to be at least 19 feet long and 11 feet wide to ensure there is plenty of room for players to move around the table when playing. A smaller space may mean the play is obstructed and possibly too cramped.
How do I practice at home without a net or a table?
It is still easy to brush up on your table tennis skills at home without a table or a net. You will need to purchase a paddle and at least one ball. To start with just practice bouncing the ball repeatedly up and down off the paddle and then you can move onto hitting against a surface. Find a flat table in your house and stand a solid object up at the end of the table and practice hitting the ball against the object. Make sure there is space for the ball to bounce on the table before you hit it again as you aren’t allowed to volley in a table tennis match.
Table Tennis Table Parts and Accessories
• Table tennis table cover: This can be placed on top of the table when it’s not in use especially if your table is outside. This will protect it from the weather if outside and will protect from mold/damp if inside.
• Table tennis table net: Everyone knows what a table tennis net is and it is placed in the middle of the table to split the table into two separate sections for two or four players. The ball must make it over the net to make the shot count.
• Table tennis table net brackets: They can also be called clamps and will keep the net in place, these will usually come with the purchase of a table.
• Table tennis table frame: The frame is the part of the table that is below the actual surface, and this will vary depending on the price and quality of the table. This is the section that you might need to assemble unless it comes preassembled.
• Table tennis table hinges: The hinges connect both sides of the table and are usually underneath or on the edge of the tables. Without these, the two separate sides of the table wouldn’t join.
• Table tennis table cleaner: This can come in a spray form or as a cream/foam, and it just keeps the table in top condition as it may become dirty for some reasons. They tend to be simple to use and are often quite cheap. Many people forget that cleaning your table is important.
• Table tennis table legs: As you would expect, the legs hold the table up and they need to be strong to ensure they can hold up the heavy table top.
• Table tennis table paint: This can either be done to transform the color of your table or to top up any scuffs or marks on it. The surface must be completely smooth when painting.
• Table tennis table toppers: This is just the top layer of a table that can be placed on top of a regular table that you may find in your home or on a pool table. It’s much cheaper and doesn’t require having a frame like a normal table tennis table.
• Table tennis table tape can be used to reapply any of the tapes around the edge that may have come away, or that is starting to peel.
• Table tennis table wheels are connected to the legs on foldable and movable tables, and they aid the smooth movement of the tables when being moved or stored away. Without wheels, it would be much harder to move the table tennis table.
• Table tennis ball catch net: This is great for practicing serves as the net catches the ball so that you don’t have to keep going to the other side of the table to collect the balls you have hit. They sit in the catch net so that you can just get them all in one go.